Home | News    Thursday 28 July 2011

Sudan slams US envoy’s remarks on South Kordofan

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

July 27, 2011 (KHARTOUM) – Sudan’s government has described as baseless allegations of abuses by Susan Rice, the US envoy at the UN Security Council, against the country’s army in South Kordofan State.

JPEG - 31 kb
US Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice speaks about the independence of South Sudan during a briefing at the US State Department in Washington, DC, July 7, 2011 (GETTY)

Since 5 June, North Sudan army known as the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and its allied paramilitary forces have been fighting elements previously aligned with the army of the new Republic of South Sudan, Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA), in the oil-producing state of South Kordofan which lies inside the north.

In a statement delivered to the UNSC on 22 July, Rice expressed her country’s deep concern about “alarming and credible allegations” of violence committed by SAF South Kordofan.

“These include acts of extreme cruelty and abuse against civilians that, if true, may constitute crimes against humanity – extra-judicial killings, house-to-house searches, abductions, arbitrary arrests, and violence motivated by differences of religion or ethnicity,” the statement added.

South Kordofan, which saw fierce battles during Sudan’s second North-South civil war, is home to the African Nuba population which largely backed the South and the SPLA. The state also borders Sudan’s western region of Darfur, a scene of a long-running conflict between the central government and ethnic rebels accusing it of marginalising the region.

The fighting, which is believed to have been ignited by SAF’s attempt to disarm SPLA Nuba fighters, has escalated into heavy artillery and aerial bombardment, leading to the displacement of more than 72,000 people, according to UN estimates.

A report prepared by the UN Mission in Sudan (UNMIS) documented “especially egregious” acts committed by SAF during the fighting, saying they may amount to “war crimes and crimes against humanity” which merit investigations.

UNMIS report also complained that humanitarian access to the affected population was hampered throughout the conflict. It further accused SAF and its allied forces of treating the mission with “gross contempt and a total disregard” of its status as a UN body.

“The United States strongly supports an investigation by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights into these allegations and calls on all parties to provide unfettered access and cooperation to any investigation,” the US envoy said.

She went on to say that her country condemns “in the strongest terms any deliberate targeting of civilians, including UN humanitarian personnel.”

Sudan’s ruling National Congress Party (NCP) withdrew its commitment to a framework agreement it signed under AU mediation on 29 June in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa with the SPLM to deescalate the situation in South Kordofan.

President Al-Bashir openly faulted his negotiators for signing the deal and said that the SPLM must conform to the rules regulating political parties in the North. Thus, he ordered the army to sustain its operations in South Kordofan until it is “purged” and the SPLM’s leader Abdul Aziz Al-Hilu is arrested.

“We are particularly disturbed by the decision of the Government of Sudan not to honor the June 29 agreement on political and security arrangements in the region. These developments are deeply regrettable,” Rice said.

“Today,” she added “we call upon the Government of Sudan to agree to a robust UN presence in Southern Kordofan and Blue Nile that will assist the parties as they agree to future political and security agreements.”

Rice’s call for the deployment of foreign troops in South Kordofan drew rebuke from the Sudanese government whose spokesman, Al-Obayid Muruoah accused the US envoy and other lobby groups of intending to instigate hostile actions against Sudan.

The Sudanese spokesman suggested that the call for intervention in South Kordofan might include a no-fly zone, stressing that the government refuses to accept more foreign troops in the country.

On allegations of a genocide committed by Sudanese forces, the country’s spokesman said that such “propagated claims were misleading and subjective.”

“Any talk on the government’s committal of atrocities or outlawed acts in South Kordofan remains an allegation without base and will not be taken into account,” AL-Muruoah said.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 28 July 2011 09:22, by Bush

    Yes, all options against the NCP regime that can make them come in to their senses and stop abuses and killing innocence civilians are inevitable, and that may even include a NO FLY ZONE, a regime change and more.

    With you South Kordofan and South Blue Nile, the world have not forgotten you.

    Long live Al-Hilu
    Long live Malik Agar
    Long live Arman

    repondre message

  • 28 July 2011 10:36, by zol aweer

    Aaaaaah at long last the crime in the Nuba Mountains is getting light to the world, NCP must know that they are dealing with intellectual Nuba and not the ones of those days which they use to cheat on them we know how to get our right " Chunga Maisha".
    There is no way for NCP to lies,the world is advance now,you can hide your sickness but you can not hide your funeral.

    Nuba Oyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !
    Al-Hilu Oyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

    repondre message

  • 28 July 2011 13:08, by Ayuen deng

    its time for the world to speak right to NCP to stop killing innocient people in the three areas of sudan.which were entitle to thier popular consultation by CPA of 2005.

    repondre message

  • 28 July 2011 21:24, by jan francis

    I am delighted the plight of the Nubian people is coming into the light! God bless all of you.... for years I have prayed for peace in that region.... may all atrocities be exposed and may protection be granted to their peoples.

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Why I believe Halayeb Triangle is an Egyptian territory 2017-07-18 22:10:00 By Tor Madira Machier Since the exit of the Anglo-Egyptian colonisation of Sudan, Egypt’s Halayeb Triangle has been a subject of false ownership claim by the Khartoum successive regimes. In fact, (...)

South Sudan Media: An endangered landscape 2017-07-18 21:56:11 By Tor Madira Machier With the disappearance of some websites from South Sudan’s radars on Monday, the news exaggerates fears of government’s advance on media strongholds in the country. What is (...)

The International Community is not the Answer 2017-07-17 11:31:13 By Salah Shuaib The miserable general situations in which we live didn't leave us with a much confidence in the ability of the Great Powers, which are allegedly leading the international (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


HRW denounces "collective punishment" in South Sudan’s Wau 2017-04-15 07:06:48 Human Right Watch South Sudan: New Spate of Ethnic Killings Urgent Need for Justice; UN Should Increase Patrols in Wau (Nairobi, April 14, 2017) – Government soldiers and allied militias (...)

Statement by South Sudanese Communist Party on the National Dialoguel 2017-03-22 05:44:42 The Communist Party of South Sudan On the Initiative of the National Dialogue The initiative taken by the President of the Republic of South Sudan declaring a need for a national dialogue is an (...)

An Appeal to President of the Republic of South Sudan 2017-03-15 07:22:45 Dear. Mr. President, I write to appeal to you for the release of political detainees now in the custody of the National Security Service at Jebel and other detention facilities. In doing this, I (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.