Home | News    Tuesday 31 August 2010

SPLA to demobilize all child soldiers by end of the year

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

By Julius N. Uma

August 30, 2010 (JUBA) - The southern Sudanese army – the SPLA – said on Monday that it would demobilize all child soldiers from its ranks by the end of the year.

JPEG - 40.9 kb
Child soldiers in south Sudan (IRIN)

The Chairperson of the Southern Sudan Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration Commission (SSDDRC), William Deng Deng, made the remarks during the launch of a new child protection unit at the SPLA General Headquarters in Juba.

“By the end of 2010 the SPLA has committed to have demobilized all children from its ranks, and we give our full support to establish strong mechanisms for successful reintegration to civilian life for these children,” Deng said.

“The launch today is another concrete sign of the commitment of the Government of Southern Sudan in general and the DDR [Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration] Commission in particular to keep the protection of children, the future and hope of our country, a priority,” the chairman said.

The department, created within the Sudanese People’s Liberation Army General Headquarters is responsible for ensuring that no children are in recruited to the southern army.

The new unit will also work with partners to verify the registration and demobilization of children still associated with the SPLA.

The formation of the department, according to a SSDDRC press release received by Sudan Tribune on Monday, is in line with an action plan signed between the SPLA and the United Nations in November last year.

As part of the agreement, the SPLA agreed to release all children in their ranks by November this year as well as end the use of children soldiers. With three months until the deadline, an estimated 900 children are still believed to be associated with the SPLA.

Since November, SSDDRC say that 200 children have been released by the SPLA since the signing of the action plan. The commission says that 60 children have been demobilized since 2009.

The SPLA fought and bloody guerilla war against the Sudanese Armed Forces controlled by the central government in Khartoum from 1983 until 2005, when the two sides agreed to share power and wealth in deal known as the Comprehensive Peace Agreement or CPA.

The UN estimates that 2 million people were killed in the conflict and over 4 million forced to leave their homes.

In 2004, a year before the peace deal, the Coalition to Stop Child Soldiers, estimated that there were between 2,500 and 5,000 children serving in the SPLA.

The campaign group’s Global Report 2004 said: ‘Despite a widely publicized child demobilization program, in which it claimed to have demobilized over 16,000 children between 2001 and 2004, the SPLA continued to recruit and re-recruit child soldiers.’

Since the 2005 peace deal the SPLA has continued the process of disarmament, demobilization and reintegration (DDR) of former combatants.

The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) described the SPLA’s launch of a child protection department as a key milestone to protect children from fighting or working in conflict zones.

Catherine Benue, UNICEF Southern Sudan Officer in Charge for the Director of Operation urged the government to ensure that the SPLA soldiers are aware of and observe national and international laws on child protection.

“We need to move beyond this launch and go down right to the smallest unit of the SPLA and indeed to each and every SPLA soldier for them to understand their obligations under the various national and international laws that the Government of Southern Sudan and the SPLA have signed to protect children’s rights,” Mbengue said yesterday.

Lise Grande, the UN Deputy Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Southern Sudan acknowledged the commitment of the southern army and urged them to continue respecting rights of children.

“We welcome the commitment by the SPLA to respect the rights of the child and ensure that the SPLA is child free”, Grande said.

“Children are the very core of Southern Sudan and we hope the Government of Southern Sudan and the SPLA give the Child Protection Department the support it deserves to effectively carry out its functions” , she said.

A panel of five members, comprising of senior commanders have already been appointed to oversee the implementation of the action plan. They will also guide the child protection department.

The recruitment or use of children under the age of 18 in armed conflict is contrary to international law and contrary to the laws of Southern Sudan’s Comprehensive Peace Agreement, Child Act 2008 and SPLA Act 2009.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 31 August 2010 05:16, by Wal P Muoranyar Biet

    Good job SPLA!

    Primary schools are where they belong!

    Wal Muoranyar

    repondre message

    • 31 August 2010 06:21, by Samani

      What good job are you ignorant man talking about. They have not done anything yet. The will aim to get rid of child soldiers by end of 2010 - Thats no promise ! Especially the past tells you everything - The campaign group’s Global Report 2004 said: ‘Despite a widely publicized child demobilization program, in which it claimed to have demobilized over 16,000 children between 2001 and 2004, the SPLA continued to recruit and re-recruit child soldiers.’

      You people support the SPLA/M blindly no matter how bad the news is. Hypocrite

      repondre message

      • 31 August 2010 07:00, by Aarai Baka

        To Samani

        Dont stick your that ugly in the Southern affairs mind your northern business.

        repondre message

        • 31 August 2010 07:30, by Mr. Peace Maker

          That’s a very big fat lie from SPLA.

          "May there be Peace in the United Sudan".

          repondre message

          • 31 August 2010 10:37, by mayom maboung marek

            SPLA, they will make it to demobilised all child soldiers in the Army.
            those lost boys in diaspora plus me were demobilised from the Army and that is where I struggled to go up to tetiary studies level [ University]

            go ahead to take them back to school, some joined Army on condition [s]

            repondre message

  • 31 August 2010 21:12, by Manyang

    When did children began to be part of the SPLA? This is a naked lie which give bad image to SPLA galant fighters. The SPLA has never had any active child soldiers in its rank as proclaimed by mr William Deng Deng.

    I know money is the factor in this program. Some individuals with the SPLA would like to have access to additional money which will go to their big pockets. SPLA has always been a reponsible army and it should remain so. It handed over thousands prisoners of wars and NIF had hand over none.

    repondre message

Comment on this article


 
 

The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.


Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Ateny flip-flopping, where is his loyalty to President Kiir? 2017-01-15 07:57:11 By Chuor Deng Chuor The world knows that Ateny Wek Ateny is supposed to be the Press Secretary and official spokesperson of President Salva Kiir. but the reality of the matter is that Ateny has (...)

Obama’s promises and pledges for Darfur went unheeded with lifting sanctions 2017-01-15 06:43:31 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman Barak Obama's Lifting of Sanctions off the genocidal regime of the National Congress Party (NCP) in Sudan is based on weak, unconvincing, pretty flimsy excuses and very (...)

The Final Betrayal of Sudan: Partial Suspension of Sanction 2017-01-14 21:31:35 “The Final Betrayal of Sudan: Obama administration’s lifting of economic sanctions; UN Ambassador Samantha Power justifying the move, claiming a ‘sea change’ of improvement in humanitarian access” (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Abduction of S. Sudan Chief Justice’s aide illegal, should be condemned 2017-01-16 05:27:50 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 16th January 2015 Legal Watch Associates South Sudan has learned with shock and dismay the abduction of Mr Gama Thomas, an aide to the Chief Justice, Chan Reech Madut. (...)

Carter Center welcomes new regulations on humanitarian affairs 2017-01-12 07:53:16 The Carter Center ATLANTA, Januarg 11, 2017 – The Carter Center welcomes the recent regulations issued by the government of Sudan aimed at facilitating humanitarian relief throughout the country (...)

Nertiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir’s regime 2017-01-03 11:54:47 Sudan Democracy First Group Nirtiti massacre in Central Darfur exposes the criminal nature of Bashir's regime 2 January 2017 On the first day of 2016, and only one day after President Bashir's (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2017 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.