Home | News    Saturday 2 June 2012

Jonglei announces drop in violence as UN urges for peace

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

June 1, 2012 (BOR) - Jonglei State governor, Kuol Manyang Juuk, said Friday that there had been a 90 percent drop in raids and cases of abduction in his state during a visit to Bor of the United Nations Special Representative of the Secretary General (SRSG) in South Sudan, Hilde F. Johnson.

JPEG - 4.7 Mb
UN Special Representative of the Secretary General in South Sudan, Hilde Johnson (left) and Jonglei State governor, Kuol Manyang Juuk speaking to the press after a meeting on the peace process in Bor, 1 June 2012 (ST)

Johnson, who came to monitor how the state peace process was being implemented, met with the state governor, to discuss the next stage of the peace process.

“The level of cattle raiding has totally reduced by over 90 percent. There is no child abduction reported again and there are very few cases of murder that are reported compare to what was there in the past”, said Juuk.

He attributed the recent calmness as the result of the state-wide six-week disarmament campaign that begun in mid-March and was followed by a political reconciliation process.

Johnson said South Sudan’s army (SPLA) had shown strong commitment to deal with the criminals violating the deal. Some groups did not handover their weapons.

“We are seeing that there are very strong commitments to take actions against the perpetrators”, Johnson said.

She said there were young men who avoided the disarmament process by remaining in the bush and that they were a threat to both the peace and the disarmament processes.

“There are still some youth that are not yet back into their communities and those are threat to both the peace processes and the disarmament process”, she added.
Johnson pledged UN commitment to support the state peace process and asked the citizens to adhere to it.

Early this year large-scale violence forced over 100,000 people to flee their homes, after 6,000 members of the Luo Nuer ethnic group entered Murle territory raiding cattle, and looking for people abducted in previous raids against them.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 2 June 2012 08:26, by Dinkawarrior

    No body can stop those criminals except SPLA, let Mrs. Johnson be a witness and be a massager of Jonglei’s disarmament and peace process.

    repondre message

    • 3 June 2012 02:19, by panom lualbil

      MR GOVERNOR, you should be a shame of declaring 90% but not even 100% reduction in rampant ethnic-conflict in JONGLEI ONLY as a result of envoy [JOHNSON] who current involved. How about when she return where her office was, leaving you not knowing what to do ? Yesterday, 3 lives lost by murle attackers at DUK where 1 attacker shot at thigh, do you think it’s a joke ?

      repondre message

      • 3 June 2012 07:09, by MKee

        pamomlual bil,
        I don’t think you have read the report fully. the governer is saying there is 90% reductin in raiding & abduction not 100% and the remaining 10% is where attacks such as the one u said happen at Duk are included. I think it is a great achievement to south sudan government if there is 90% reduction in abduction and raiding in Jonglei. Let not deny facts and be blinded by hatred.

        repondre message

        • 3 June 2012 21:46, by panom lualbil

          MKEE,
          This article by Governor [KUOL] declared 90% decreased in [raids and abduction] of criminals’ activities in JONGLE, ONLY as of visit to BOR by the united nation [SRSG] Hilde Johnson. Right ! But the better new I like to hear is: The permanent PEACE solution in jongle by its own citizens themselves, but not because of JOHNSON temporary visit. How about if Johnson left with that 90% reduction

          repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


South Sudan needs citizens’ participation in politics 2019-09-14 18:11:41 By Biong Deng Biong On the 4th December 2012, Isaiah Abraham was tragically gunned down in cold blood outside his residence in the South Sudan capital, Juba. The gunman was apparently ‘unknown’. (...)

Has Thomas Cirilo realize the importance of the enemy of my enemy is my friend? 2019-09-09 13:29:06 By Clement Maring Samuel When I read a tripartite agreement signed by Gen. Thomas Cirilo; Gen. Pagan Amum Okiech; and Gen. Paul Malong Awan who represented their parties of SSNDA; R-SPLM, and (...)

President Kiir: The Nelson Mandela of South Sudan? 2019-09-09 12:44:31 By Biong Deng Biong There is no reservation that Nelson Mandela was a great leader, but how does President Kiir fair? More often, we focus on the negative performance of leaders while forgetting (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


S. Korea supports UN communities building resilience project in Sudan’s Blue Nile 2019-09-09 09:26:41 UNDP Sudan September 5, 2019 (KHARTOUM) - An agreement was signed on 5th of September between the Korean Ambassador, His Excellency. Lee Ki-Seong and Dr. Selva Ramachandran, Resident (...)

Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.