May 6, 2010 (KHARTOUM) – Darfur peace chief mediator discussed today with the Sudanese officials the resumption of Doha talks to end the seven year conflict in Western Sudan.
Djibril Bassole, met Thursday in Khartoum with Amin Hassan Omer, government top negotiator and General Issmat Abdelrahman head of security arrangement sub-committee for the peace process.
The two sides discussed the ongoing preparations to resume the peace talks in Doha after its suspension last month for the general elections.
Amin informed Bassole that the Sudanese delegation would return to the Qatari capital on May 15 in order to continue peace talks with the rebel groups. Previously Sudan said the talks would restart after the swearing-in of the President elect Omer Al-Bashir on May 27.
The rebel Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) suspended its participation in the Doha process accusing Khartoum of violating a truce they agreed last February.
Ahmed Hussein Adam, JEM spokesperson told Sudan Tribune yesterday they had informed the mediation of their readiness to sign a ceasefire before the departure of the government delegation to Khartoum but the Sudanese officials preferred to leave without to sign it.
He accused Khartoum of seeking to weaken his group militarily saying they were ready to repel any attack.
The government and another rebel group, Liberation and Justice Movement (LJM) are expected to resume the negotiations after the arrival of the government delegation.
Sudanese President Omer Al-Bashir pledged this week to achieve peace in Darfur where some 300,000 people were killed and over 2.7 million are displaced since 2003.