Home | News    Monday 6 February 2012

13 killed in attacks this week, says Jonglei MP

separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation

February 5, 2012 (BOR) – Officials in South Sudan’s Jonglei state say armed raiders killed more than ten people in two separate attacks in Akobo and Bor counties this week, in the latest violence to affect the country’s largest state.

Deng Chuol, an MP representing Akobo West in the Jonglei State Assembly, said eleven people died on Tuesday last week when Murle raiders attacked the area.

Kuol Bol Ayom, a representative of Athoc North constituency in the Jonglei Assembly told the Sudan Tribune on Sunday that two people were killed by attackers on Saturday in Baidit Payam [district].

“The attackers killed people and wounded other one,” he said. One of the attackers was killed and identified as a member of the Murle tribe, Bol added.

The body of alleged raider killed in the Baidit attack was later brought to Bor civil hospital, Sudan Tribune was told, but his identity has not been confirmed.

Jonglei state is home to pastoralist communities who often engage in cattle rustling and child abduction. Between June and December last year, over 1,000 peopled died in various inter-tribal raids in Jonglei.

Just before Christmas, over 6,000 armed Lou Nuer men launched - what it calls revenge attack - on Pibor county home of the Murle tribe. Estimates on the number of deaths killed range between the hundred and thousands but the UN has dismissed the higher figures.

After extra UN troops and forces from the South Sudanese army were belatedly deployed to the area, the Luo Nuer were forced to retreat.

But the Murle responded with a series of attacks on Lou Nuer counties of Akobo and Uror in early January. Duk County, inhabited by the Dinka Bor tribe, was also attacked in mid-January, leaving close to ninety people killed, according to official figures.

A total of 140,000 people have been affected by the attacks over the last six weeks, according to the UN. The South Sudanese government have described Jonglei as a disaster area, with humanitarian agencies struggling to access the state due to lack of infrastructure and a shortage of helicopters.

Many cattle were stolen and an unknown number of people are missing since the attack on a cattle camp in Akobo County on Tuesday 2 February, Deng Chuol told Sudan Tribune on Saturday.

South Sudan and the Jonglei State government says disarming civilians during this dry season will end the deadly raids, which have been aggravated by the acquisition of automatic weapons by civilians during the two-decade long civil war with North Sudan.

In July South Sudan became independent but continues to accuse Khartoum of arming rebellions in the new country. Some of these weapons have found their way to the civilian population, Juba alleges.

However, Khartoum denies this and claims Juba is assisting rebels in areas bordering the south.

Logistical constraints are said to have been delaying the commencement of military, police and aid operations in remote villages of Jonglei state that are inaccessible by road.

(ST)

Comments on the Sudan Tribune website must abide by the following rules. Contravention of these rules will lead to the user losing their Sudan Tribune account with immediate effect.

- No inciting violence
- No inappropriate or offensive language
- No racism, tribalism or sectarianism
- No inappropriate or derogatory remarks
- No deviation from the topic of the article
- No advertising, spamming or links
- No incomprehensible comments

Due to the unprecedented amount of racist and offensive language on the site, Sudan Tribune tries to vet all comments on the site.

There is now also a limit of 400 words per comment. If you want to express yourself in more detail than this allows, please e-mail your comment as an article to comment@sudantribune.com

Kind regards,

The Sudan Tribune editorial team.
  • 6 February 2012 05:55, by NUER ONE

    @ to all DINKAS nd Nuer,
    I TOLD YOU THAT,YOU WILL DO THAT BUSINESS OF KILLING AGAIN,
    YOU ARE LIKE ANIMALS IN MIND,YOU WROTE US THAT YOU HAVE STOP KILLING EACH OTHERS.

    VERY GOOD, MURLIE, THIS TIME, NO JOKE WITH THOSE WHO ARE THE KILLERS. STILL MORE KILLING WILL HAPPEN SOON.

    DINKA DOMINATED, AND THOSE WHO ARE INSULTING ME, IT IS TIME NOW.SINCE YOU ARE ATTACKING MURLEI,THEY WILL NOT GIVE YOU CHANC

    repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 07:02, by Legacy Elites

      Deng Chuol is lying. Not long ago, jonkoz chen zo ci toloco o, were killing each other. One of those armed robbers was killed. When they found that it was their own jonkoz criminal killing his own fellow jonkoz, they just cut off his head and brought the headless body to Kuol Manyang to announce that he was a Murle attacker. But when the head was demanded, the authorities discovered jonkoz usual b

      repondre message

      • 6 February 2012 07:44, by Ruach

        It is good that the body of criminal was brought in the state.Jebe/Murle/Jabaar are terrorists for good.They should be disarmed for us to continue our normal life.Those apes wo support them must be brought to justices one by one by the land lord of this nation.Shame on any apes who just came recenly spending over 1000years in Uganda or Congo and declares him/herself as citizen from the south today

        repondre message

      • 6 February 2012 08:32, by John Bang

        To: Legacy,
        if u are not admitted to what is happening, you are taking us to no solutions,I expect ur commend could be to turn ur mother fucking head to the targetted Youth who have no homes to build themselves houses to stay in and surrender their guns to the government,than denying this killing? If we the rest of the counties whom u killed always turn to u, what is the solution?Don’t deny.

        repondre message

        • 6 February 2012 21:40, by Gumbulla Junior

          To John Bang....jonkoz lavaric,mor muur,leil mor,akibon ka itokon.for your info.every time ur culprits crossed to murle land to carry their normal dirty business,ur cowards rush to media and utter their baseless and one sided report abt murle just to cover up the ongoing plans to attack us.we are aware of ur coming to our land.welcome n face it.2morrow u will give another false report,which cowrds

          repondre message

          • 6 February 2012 21:48, by Gumbulla Junior

            ....jonkoz alone can believe.when are u people going to free urselves from the fear of unknown? plz be focus and learn to speak truth and call spade a spade not big spoon.The whole world is tired of those bunch of lies from Bor.Pointing fingers everyday at neighbors and pretending to be law abiding citizens and actually doing things contrary to ur fabricated lies...woe to u pretenders.

            repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 07:03, by omoni jr.

      walk like dog, eat like dog,dance like talk like dog,and exactly dog.

      repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 07:24, by Ruach

      Nuer dog!You are always quick to give very nonsense comments.Have you been employed either by NGO or GOSS?You always wake up by insulting the mighty Nuer & Dinka and the landlords of this nation.Wash your decayed teeth my friend.You are part of our problems.

      repondre message

      • 6 February 2012 10:24, by NUER ONE

        Thank you, I am not a dog,and i don’t wants to see you.I will stay here and will go to my state in 2015.
        Don’t cry, time is still for killing, arabs not DINKA TO KILL DINKA,THAT IS WHY WE HATE YOU. you most change your mind so that we may go together with

        repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 07:36, by tutchagor

      nuer 8 or jebe
      please we are yet going to revenge though you are scatter in the bush like the way you behalf. and also, you don’t want to educate yourself like worst commend wich you post always ful of grammatic erros.

      repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 08:22, by John Bang

      To: Nuer One,
      please the way your mind behave is already a dead mind. What is your contributions as a citizen of that country? Ur aims could not be to insult the Nuer & Dinka on that game,it’s game over two wariors and the prior right ’ll be taken by the winner among these tribes.Don’t insult but advise,we ’re all happy to see our land being in peace,not dying of our people always.

      repondre message

  • 6 February 2012 05:58, by Mi diit

    Jonglei has failed administration.

    repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 06:44, by Quol Quot

      Riek is out of his mind. He keeps talking about peaceful disarmament. This has failed in the past and it will not work. Calling for peaceful disarmament is an attempt not to disarm Murle who are the creators of instability in South Sudan. They need to be brought to their knees soon. Is Riek and UN adding up the number of people killed daily in Bor and Akobo? Is this not genocide? Murle is RSS enem

      repondre message

  • 6 February 2012 06:51, by George Bol

    The inhuman game will never end if the raiders takes the properties of others in the daylight in the present of the government. This is very serious. Tribes that are always victim of raiders and militia must protect themselves. SPLA must disarm Murle and Lou Nuer because they are the one who attacks innocents women, elderly, and children.

    repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 08:53, by John Bang

      To George Bol,
      please, ur comments are not real,to start disarment in Murle and Nuer,do u meant after those people surrender their guns to goverment, u Dinka remain with ur guns to raid people on their way when they come State capital and their going to their counties?Or u meant what? Dinka are also victim not Murle nor Nuer victim to that crisis of Jonglei,disarment ’ll start In Bor first & rest

      repondre message

      • 6 February 2012 09:53, by Maror Ariech

        Dears let reveal the truth ,personal i don’t expect Dinka to remain with guns no ,the problem it will be impossible to disarm them all, so long other officials are cooperating with those holding guns so disarment should be done in both site ,Dinka,Nuer and Murle.

        repondre message

  • 6 February 2012 06:53, by Cadaai ?o?
  • 6 February 2012 07:12, by Anynya One

    Thus it! enough! is enough! Equatorians will no longer support such a sick-nasty tribes of Murle, Dinka and Nuer shitt! don’t ever think of ruling South Sudan in the near future, because this dudes will no doubt spread and contaminate Southerners using their habit of snapping kids against the tree, raping and murdering innocent women around the country. Sucks! We don’t want you! must be voted off

    repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 08:42, by John Bang

      TO: Anyanya One,
      whom are you blaming my dear,Murle,Nuer and Dinka or government?Ur words are useless!To rule the South is ours for the end.We can not let u rule us since we know you can sell out the riches land for food to foreigners, stop doubting, we are ruler.

      repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 09:47, by NUER ONE

      @ JOHN BANG,
      That is right my brother, enough is enough, you stop killing people or people will kill you too.
      Why not to kill that Malaria which is killing you now?
      Is it Murlei or sickness,You loot the MSF drugs store and now you need drugs,who are going to be blame?

      STOP THAT OPERATION,OR YOU ALONE WILL SEE THE RESULT.

      repondre message

  • 6 February 2012 07:19, by Kim Deng

    Murle,

    The Mighty Nuer Warriors which compose of Gawaar, E. Jikany and Lou Nuer will launch Operation Savannah Storm (OSS) againt Murle not later than March 2012. The GSS fails to protect the civilians and their properties which means only coward and defenseless community like Jaang/Slaves will suffer more.

    repondre message

    • 6 February 2012 07:37, by Legacy Elites

      Kim,

      Wait for the full deployment of MWFR troops in all of Murleland. That will be complete in May. So wait untill we are ready. I promise you, this time you will see

      repondre message

  • 6 February 2012 07:45, by Majongdulthii Anyang-majongduldit

    ’’Enough is enough let the government now intervine in order to stop this tibal clashes in the state oherwise this state will be like North-East Nigeria where Boko- Haram is a threat

    repondre message

  • 6 February 2012 18:09, by Kim Deng

    NAIROBI (AlertNet) – A 30,000-strong ethnic Warriors, known as the White Army, has announced it plans a major operation in South Sudan’s troubled Jonglei state, raising fears of fresh violence following tribal clashes which have already displaced 140,000 people since December.

    repondre message

  • 6 February 2012 18:37, by Kim Deng

    The Lou Nuer, Gawaar Nuer and E. Jikany Nuer of both (South Sudan & Ethiopia) shall contribute a force of 30,000 well armed youth for the launching of Operation Savannah Storm which shall commence on March, 1st, 2012. The Nuer clans of South Sudan shall contribute 25,000 to the operation while the Ethiopian Nuer shall contribute 5,000.

    repondre message

  • 7 February 2012 00:20, by panom lualbil

    Am tired of always reading attack by the same ppl against the same ppl when no solution to it. These ppl must be lying! Otherwise, they should always follow them right away for reprisal attack. Murle are not that many, and it might be 5 guys to raid and kill many. Depend yourselves folks, leaving spla’s security alone. Or you wanna give up your cattle to murle like anuak did?

    repondre message

  • 7 February 2012 04:04, by Waucity

    No government allow it’s people to just fight without a single investigation....Murlei are disrespectful people, they will stop at nothing...They will do this forever, so the government might as well act now....

    repondre message

Comment on this article



The following ads are provided by Google. SudanTribune has no authority on it.



Sudan Tribune

Promote your Page too

Latest Comments & Analysis


Sudan’s Constitutional Declaration was reduced to absurdity 2019-08-13 20:31:25 By Mahmoud A. Suleiman After paying tributes to the martyrs and hoping healing for wounded and offer sincere greetings to the rebellious Sudanese people who are inevitably victorious, having (...)

Options and opportunities for SPLM-N al-Hilu to join Sudan’s transition 2019-08-13 20:06:06 By Ibrahim B. Musa Despite the initial signing of the political on July, 17th, 2019 and constitutional declaration on August 4th, 2019, as well as the previous exhausting efforts made in (...)

Can Sudan achieve peace and democratic transition? 2019-08-13 07:37:28 By Rosalind Marsden Sudan has a unique opportunity to embrace democratic transition but there is no room for complacency. Comprehensive reforms and a united democratic front will be key to (...)


MORE






Latest Press Releases


Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders back calls for civil rule 2019-04-26 10:22:06 Press statement by 55 Sudanese lawyers and Human rights defenders on Sudan Sit-in and Peaceful Protest Khartoum -24/04/2019 We, the undersigned (55) Sudanese lawyers and human rights defenders, (...)

South Sudan’s Lafon youth condemn killings of civilians by Pari community 2019-04-03 21:54:29 Press Statement on the Fighting between Pari/ Pacidi and Lotuko/Lokiri on 24/3/2019 Release by The Lafon County Youth Union: We, the Lafon County Youth Union hereby condemn the atrocities and (...)

Joseph Malwal Dong joined the SPLM/A -IO 2019-04-02 08:35:02 SPLM/A (IO) Press Release 1/4/2019 On Hon. Joseph Malwal Dong Joined the SPLM/A (IO) The leadership of the SPLM/A (IO) would like to seize this precious opportunity to announce to members and (...)


MORE

Copyright © 2003-2019 SudanTribune - All rights reserved.